April 14th, 2005

buzzed, B&W


Just finished my Ohio return. Fortunately, Ohio provides a free e-file option, and I was able to file as a part-year resident. I even got a refund. Yea for digital filing.

Montana, on the other hand, isn't so technologically advanced. I browsed their tax instruction book online - and apparently all residents, non-residents, and part-year residents have to file. It sounds rather complicated for a part year resident:
As a part-year resident, you are subject to Montana tax on all your Montana source income included in your federal gross income which is received while residing in Montana and on all income which is derived from or connected with Montana. Complete lines 1 through 42 of Montana Form 2 using the instructions on pages 2-6 of this booklet. Report your Montana and non-Montana income as shown on your federal income tax return. Line 20 of Form 2 must agree with your federal adjusted gross income reported on your federal income tax return. You are allowed to claim either the standard deduction or itemized deductions and at least one personal exemption. Once you have completed Form 2 through line 42, you must complete Form 2A page 2, Schedules III and IV to prorate your Montana tax liability.
While the forms are online, they're in a version of PDF that doesn't let me save what I enter. Argh!

So, I'm downloading and installing PDFCreator, which should let me print the edited PDF to another PDF. A bit silly, but hopefully it'll work, so all I have to do tomorrow is print it out and mail it.
buzzed, B&W

Montana Taxes

Damn, that took longer than expected. Basically an hour to get it all done. I ended up owing money to the state because of my capital gains. And the stupid online tax payment site for Montana, charged me $2 to pay with an e-check. Damn the price of convenience.

I still have to mail in hard copies of everything. Montana wants all my state returns, my federal return, my W-2s (which I'd gotten used to not having to tear apart), and all the various forms I had to complete for them. Bleh.

While doing my Montana taxes, I realized I screwed up on my capital gains. I apparently misread my Ameritrade statement, and rather than listing purchase price, I listed the price from the end of the month. What's the difference? The stocks I bought went depreciated slightly, so my capital gain was actually about $200 less than what I reported. Whoops. My refunds exceeded my expenditures, so I doubt it's worth the hassle of trying to submit an amendment or whatever I would need to do. In fact, my overall tax liability might not even change with a difference of $200 in my AGI.

yea for being almost done with my taxes!